Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Tweet, Tweet - Little Girl's Room

I really, really, really dislike birds. I have a sordid history of them pooping on me and diving into my car to commit suicide. There just isn't much about birds I like.

However, bird themed anything I love. It's right up there with turquoise.

When I created my baby daughter's nursery - which is really just a little girl's room with a crib stuck in it - I started with simple DIY projects. I saw photos on Pinterest of bird houses on walls, and I knew I could do that. So I bought bird houses, spray painted them, and  stuck them on the wall.
Check out that rocker - it's from when I was a baby!
Right after we put in the wood floors, before we built the bed.
This wall decal was left over from when my older daughter was in the room. Just happened to match perfectly!

Then I moved to the bed. I begged my husband to build a bed with a trundle for her room. My original intention was to have two, but that project took days upon days, so I think we'll stick with one for a while. I designed it, he built it, and I painted. It's one of the most amazing beds I've ever seen, and I really feel like we created an heirloom piece.
He let me help!
Halfway point.
Adding the bed bracket somethings. The hard way. We use a router now.
Finished! Paint Color? Ballet Slipper.
More birds on the bed.
For every bit I detest birds, I like bugs. Weird. So I made a mobile of them and hung it from the ceiling.

Next, I painted an old dresser my parents had. It was one of those ugly junk dressers that people always paint and make look amazing. It's seriously easy. Just remove the hardware, prime, and paint 3-4 coats.
Before the paint.
Not a true white - an off-white with a little grey to it.
Spray painted IKEA frame with a pillow from Etsy inside. Could have made the pillow, but my sewing talent is nill.

Finally, I bought a cabinet from a Facebook selling group with the intention of painting it to match, but I really love the color. It came with glass panes in the doors, and I thought I'd have to replace them with plexiglass. Until I realized that plexiglass is CRAZY expensive. So I just removed it and realized I still like the look. Until she's older, we're just keeping it empty. It's not staged or organized yet, but it makes for great shoe and book storage.
So much crap piled on top.
Shoe storage
Book storage on the lower shelved for baby to reach

And there you have the best room in my entire house! Partly because there is so much DIY. Partly because it has birds. Partly because it has that one turquoise birdhouse.

And now I leave you with a photo of my crazy daughter in the crib I did not take a picture of because I detest cribs as much as birds.
She doesn't like to sleep.


Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment